LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Directors of University Sports Information of America (CoSIDA) this week elected three Kentucky softball players as Academic All-District, placing them on the final ballot for Academic All-America. Juniors Renee abernathy and Kayla kowalik in addition to the senior pitcher Grace Baalman were elected as the second CoSIDA Academic All-District team, all for the first time in their respective careers.
Of the 11-person squad in District Two, no other team in District Two had more than one player represented except for the UK, which had three.
The winners of the CoSIDA Academic All-America honors will be announced by the organization later this month when the 11 winners from the eight districts are put to a final vote.
Springfield, Illinois, Jr. – DE
- Hit .357 on the season with 13 HR and 48 RBI
- Had two home runs in the NCAA Super Regionals
- 24 extra-base hits, NFCA All-Region Third Team
- 4.0 GPA
Hardin, Ill., Sr. – P / DP
- 11 wins in the circle as a pitcher this season, also appeared in 29 games
- NCAA Lexington-Regional clinches victory in circle with Notre Dame shutout in Game 7
- Had five HRs and 18 RBIs at the plate, the two best in careers
- 3,901 GPA
New Braunfels, Texas, Jr. – C / OF
- Led NCAA batting average with a 0.495 rating
- NFCA First Team All-America
- Second team All-SEC
- 3,398 GPA
For the latest British softball news, follow the Wildcats on Twitter and Instagram at @UKSoftball.